Dr. Raúl García
Diseases and Surgery of the Retina and Vitreous
Name: Raúl García-Salinas
Address; Suite 1-The Medical Centre Pasqua Hospital
4101 Dewdney Avenue
Regina, SK S4T 1A5
Telephone: (306) 522-3937
Fax: (306) 522-8252
EXAMS FOR FOREIGN MEDICAL GRADUATES
1980 Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG).
1982 Medical Council of Canada Evaluating Examination (MCCEE).
August 1979 - July 1980 Pre-internship, University Hospital, Monterrey, N. L., Mexico, Department of Endocrinology.
August 1980 - July 1981 Rotating Internship, University Hospital, Monterrey, N. L., Mexico.
August 1983 - June 1986 Ophthalmology Residency Program, University of Toronto.
July 1986 - June 1987 Medical Retina Fellowship, University Hospital, University of Western Ontario
July 1987 - June 1988 Surgical Retina Fellowship, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto.
POST - GRADUATE
1983 Master in Science, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto.
1986 Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Canada (Ophthalmology).
1987 Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada (LMCC)
1988 Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology.
1994 Fellow of the American College of Surgeons.
February 1975 - July 1979 Instructor of Physiology, School of Medicine, University of Nuevo Leon.
September 1979 - July 1980 Professor of Pharmacology at theTechnical Medical School, University of Nuevo Leon.
Second place of in the cohort 1973-1979 of the School of Medicine, University of Nuevo Leon.
Professional exam approved with Cum Laude citation March 4, 1980.
Dr. W. Chan Book Award - Best senior resident at the Hospital for Sick Children 1984-1986, Department of Ophthalmology, University of
Dr. G. Kelly Award - Best senior resident at St. Michael Hospital, 1985-1986, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto.
Alumni Prize - Best research paper given on Research Day, April 4, 1986, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Toronto.
August 1981 - June 1983 Fellow of the Medical Research Council of Canada.
March 2000 -2002 Phase III Safety and Efficacy Study of Vitraese (hyaluronidase) for Ophthalmic Intravitreal Injection for Clearance of Severe Vitreous Hemorrhage.
March 2002 - 2005 Phase II/III Randomized, Double-Masked,Controlled, Dose-Ranging, Multi-Center Comparative Trail, in Parallel Groups, to Establish the Safety and Efficacy of Intravitreal Injections of EYE001 9Anti-VEGF Pegylated Aptamer) Given Every 6 Weeks for 54 Weeks, in Patients with Exudative Age-Related macular degeneration (AMD) (EOP1003)
January 2004 - May 2006 Phase III Randomized, Double-Masked, Triamcinolone Acetonide as an Adjunctive Treatment to Verteporfin
Therapy in Neovascular AMD
October 2007 - June 2009 A Phase III, Randomized, Double-masked, Parallel-Assignment Study of Intravitreal Bevasiranib Sodium,
Administered every 8 or 12 Weeks as Maintenance Therapy Following Three Injections of Lucentis, Compared with Lucentis;
Monotherapy Every 4 Weeks in Patients with Exudative Age-Related Macular Degeneration (AMD)
October 2007 - May 2011 A Randomized, Double Masked, Active Controlled Phase III Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability of Repeated Doses of Intravitreal VEGF Trap in Subjects with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration
1990 - 1995 Clinical Assistant Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Saskatchewan.
1996 - Clinical Associate Professor, Department of Ophthalmology, University of Saskatchewan
Pasqua Hospital, Regina, SK, Canada
Regina General Hospital, Regina, SK
Wascana Rehabilitation Centre, Regina
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
Canadian Ophthalmologic Society.
Canadian Retinal Society
American Ophthalmologic Society.
American College of Surgeons.
Saskatchewan Medical Association.
American Society of Retinal Specialists.
October 19, 1987 Diabetic Retinopathy. Advances and Controversies in Endocrinology Treatment, Mexico, D.F.
November 18, 1989 Ocular injuries. Trauma Care for the 1990s. Plain Health Centre. Regina. SK.
June 26, 1989 Effect of vitrectomy on the ocular distribution of gentamicin in the rabbit. Canadian Ophthalmologic Society Annual Meeting
January 19, 1990 Ophthalmic problems in the diabetic. General Endocrinology and Diabetes for The Family Physicians and Internist.
May 3, 1990 Review of retinal diseases. Saskatchewan Optometry Society. Saskatoon, SK
May 25, 1990 Flashes and floaters. Clinical Skills in Primary Care Ophthalmology.Regina. SK.
May 25, 1990 Macular degeneration. Clinical Skills in Primary Care Ophthalmology. Regina. SK.
October 18, 1991 Review of retinal diseases. Manitoba Optometry Society. Clear Lake, MB.
February 25, 1994 Clofazimine maculopathy. Western Retina Study Club, Phoenix, Arizona
May 13, 1994 Diabetic Retinopathy. Clinical Sills inOphthalmology. Regina Sk.
March 3, 1995 Management of a retinal detachment in a patient with glaucoma. Western Retina Study Club. Vancouver, BC
January 19, 1996 Monitoring ophthalmic changes and management of complications. Endocrinology Update 96. Regina, SK.
March 8, 1996 Treatment of a macular hole in a patient with an optic nerve pit. Western Retina Study Club. Yosemite
February 25, 2000 Sarcoid Choroidal Granuloma. Western Retina Study Club. Salem, Oregon
February 2, 2001 Diabetes, hypertension, hyperlipidemia and AIDS. Clinical Skills in Ophthalmology. Regina, SK.
February 2, 2001 Visudyne for age-related macular degeneration: is my patient a candidate for treatment? Clinical Skills in Ophthalmology
February 16, 2001 The Computer and the Office. Canadian Surgical Retina Meeting Banff, AB.
February 23, 2001 Western Retina Study Club Salt Lake City, Utah. Diabetic Papillopathy
February 24, 2001 Western Retina Study Club Salt LakeCity, Utah. Idiopathic CME.
November 11 to 14, 2001 In-the-bag Intraocular Lens Dislocation. Poster Presentation. American Academy of Ophthalmology.
May 8, 2002 Review of PDT Trials. Presentation to Optometrists at the Saskatchewan Hotel.
December 7, 2002 Electronic Medical Records. Back to the Basics and Beyond. Walter Wright Day University of Toronto.
January 25, 2003 What is New in Retinal Surgery. 2nd Annual Westman Eye Day, Brandon, MB.
January 25, 2003 Current Concepts in Diabetic Retinopathy. 2nd Annual Westman Eye Day, Brandon, MB
February 21, 2003 Radial Optic Neurotomy. 3rd Surgical Retina Meeting, Lake Louise, AB
January 7, 2004 What the Family Physician Needs to Know About Retinal Diseases. Regina General Hospital
April 3, 2004 Candida Endophthalmitis Uveitis An Eyesore, Regina, SK.
November 10, 2004 Diabetes and Yours Eyes. Regina, SK.
November 16, 2004 Current Concepts in Age-Related Macular Degeneration. Regina, SK.
February 11, 2005 Pigmented Epimacular Membranes. 2005 Canadian Surgical Retina Meeting. Whistler, BC.
June 23-25, 2005 Diffuse unilateral subacute neuroretinitis: A case of mistaken identity. Poster at the COS, Edmonton, AB.
October 29, 2005 Diabetic Eye Complications. Optometrists Assistants Meeting. Regina, SK.
November 15, 2005 Wet Macular Degeneration. Treatment Update:Which Therapy for Which Lesion. Regina, SK
March 24, 2007 Macular Degeneration Prevention and Treatment Strategies. Regina, SK. January 3, 2008 Current Treatments for AMD.
Pasqua Hospital. Regina, SK
February 1, 2008 Electronic Medical Records. Vancouver Island Health Authority Rounds in Ophthalmology. Victoria, B.C
February 16, 2008 IOL Power Selection in Combined Procedures (Phacoemulsification and Vitrectomy) With and Without Gas Tamponade.
Canadian Surgical Retina Meeting 2008. Whistler, B.C
February 21, 2008 Advances in the Treatment of Macular Degeneration. Regina Medical District Meeting. Regina, SK
December 5, 2008 A Closer Look at the Eye. Delta Hotel, Regina, SK
February 6, 2009 Malyugin Ring. CSRM 2009, Whistler, BC
May 23, 2009 Combination Treatment for Wet Age-Related Macular Degeneration: A Canadian Perspective. Retina Canada 2009. Montreal,
February 17, 2012 Comparison of 1 and 2 Steps Pneumatic Retinopexy CSRM, Boca Raton, FL
October 19, 2013 Diabetic Papillopathy: Western Canada Retina Retreat. Calgary, AB.
June 5, 2014 Treatment of Bacterial Endophthalmitis. COS Annual Meeting, Halifax, NS.
November. 24, 2016 Optical Coherence Tomography (OCT) Interpretations Presentation to Optometrists at Memories Restaurant. Regina, SK
September 30, 2017 Acquired Macular Schisis. WCRR, Vancouver, BC.
1. García-Salinas, R., de la Garza, S., Garza, S. and Pisanty, P. Effect of insulin, glucose, fructose and xylitol on the EEG recovery after
acetone infusion in normal and pancreatectomized dogs. Rev. Invest. Clin. (Mex) 33:129, 1981.
2. García-Salinas, R., Garza, S., de la Garza, S., Espinosa-Campos, J. and Ovalle-Berumen, F. High fibre diet prepared with regional foods
as an aid in the control of diabetic patients. Rev. Invest. Clin. (Mex) 34:105-111, 1982.
3. Santos, M., Ovalle-Berumen, F. and García-Salinas, R. Treatment of diabetic coma with continuous low dose insulin infusion. Rev. Invest. Clin. (Mex) 34:99-193, 1982.
4. Sima, A.F., García-Salinas, R. and Basu, P. K. The BB wistar rat: An experimental model for the study of diabetic retinopathy. Metabolism. 32 (Suppl.) 136-140, 1983.
5. García-Salinas, R. Light and electron microscopical studies of the retinal microvasculature in the spontaneously diabetic BB wistar rat.
Thesis (M. Sc.) University of Toronto, 1984.
6. Trope, G., García-Salinas, R. and Glynn, M. F. Blood viscosity in primary open angle glaucoma. Can. J. Ophthalmol. 22:202-204, 1987.
7. García-Salinas, R., Trope, G. E. and Glynn, M. F. Blood viscosity in ocular hypertension. Can. J. Ophthalmol. 23:305-307, 1988.
8. García-Salinas, R., Hasany, S., Chisholm, L., Basu, P. K., Moffat, K. and Harvey, P. Effect of vitrectomy on the ocular distribution of
gentamicin in the rabbit. Can. J. Ophthalmol. 26:196-199, 1991.
9. García, Raúl. Plaquenil and the Eyes. The Saskatchewan Lupine. Spring 1994.
10. García, Raúl. Age related macular degeneration & photodynamic therapy. SAO. Vol. 91, #1, April 2000.
11. García, Raúl. Update on PDT in AMD. SAO, Vol. 93, #2, August 2002.
12. García, Raúl. Participant in Gross, J.G., Kokame, G.T., and Winberg, D.V. for the Dislocated In-the-bag Intraocular Lens Study Group. In-
the-bag Intraocular Lens Dislocation. Am J Ophthalmol 2004: 137:630-635.
13. García, Raúl, Participant in Gargoudas, E.S., Adamis, A.P., Cunningham, E.T., Feinsod, M., and David R. Guyer, for the VEGF Inhibition Study in Ocular Neovascularization Clinical Trial Group. Pegaptanib for Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration. N Engl J
Med: 351:2805-16, 2004
14. García, R. Participant in VEGF inhibition study in ocular neovascularization (V.I.S.I.O.N.) Clinical Trial Group. Enhanced efficacy
associated with early treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration with pegaptanib sodium: An exploratory analysis.
RETINA 25:815-827, 2005.
15. García, R. Participant in the Vitrase for Vitreous Hemorrhage Study Groups. Safety Results of the Two Phase III Trials of an Intravitreous
Injection of Hyaluronidase (Vitrase for the Management of Vitreous Hemorrhage. Am J Ophthalmol 140:585-597, 2005.
16. García, R. Participant in the Vitrease for Vitreous Hemorrhage Study Groups. Pooled Efficacy Results from Two Multinational
Randomized Controlled Clinical Trials of a Single Intravitreous Injection of Highly Purified Ovine Hyaluronidase (Vitrease) for the
Management of Vitreous Hemorrhage. Am J Ophthalmolol 140:573-584, 2005
17. Schweitzer, K.D. and García, R. Spontaneous closure of a stage III idiopathic macular hole. Can J Ophthalmol. 2007: 42:127-8
18. Schweitzer, K.D. and García, R. Near vision as a predictor of visual acuity in patients with nuclear cataracts. Can J Ophthalmol. 2007:
19. Schweitzer, K.D., McClean, K, Kazacos, K. García, R. Diffuse Unilateral Subacute neuroretinitis; A Case of Mistaken Identity. Retinal
Cases. Brief Reports. Fall 2008: Vol. 2(4):344-346
20. Boucher, MC, Gilles, D., Garcia-Salinas, R., Kherani, A., Maberley, D.,Olivier, S., Oh, M., Stockl, F. Teleophthalmology screening for diabetic retinopathy though mobile imaging units within Canada; Can J Ophthalmol. 2008: 43(6): 659
21. Schweitzer, K.D., Ehmann, D. and García, R. Nerve Fiber layer changes in highly myopic eyes by optical coherence tomography. Can J Ophthalmol 2009;44:e 13-6
22.Schweitzer, K., Ehmann, D., Garcia, R., Alport, E. Oculoleptomeningeal amyloidosis in 3 individuals with the transthyretin
variant Tyr69His. Can J Ophthalmol 2009: 44 316-319
23. Ehmann, D., Garcia, R. Investigating a possible cause of the myopic shift after combined cataract extraction, intraocular lens
implantation, and vitrectomy for treatment of a macular hole. Can J Ophthalmol 2009: 44; 594-597
24. Ehmann, David; Garcia, Raul. Triple therapy for neovascular age-related macular degeneration (verteporfin photodynamic therapy,
intravitreal dexamethasone, and intravitreal bevacizumab). Can J Ophthalmol 2010: 45; 36-40
1. García-Salinas, R., de la Garza, M. and Ovalle-Berumen, F. Evaluation of the fibre mechanical effect on the intestinal absorption of
dextrose in dogs. Rev. Invest. Clin. (Mex) 35:85, 1983.
2. Alanis, R., García-Salinas, R. and Ovalle-Berumen, F. Relationship between diabetes mellitus and acute myocardial infarction in our
population. Rev. Invest. Clin. (Mex) 35:91, 1983.
3. García, G., García-Salinas, R., de la Garza, S., Valencia, A. and Santos, M. Hemoglobin HA1c levels in normal and diabetic pregnant
women. Rev. Invest. Clin. (Mex) 35:91, 1983.
4. García-Salinas, R., Basu, P. K. and Sima, A. F. Diabetic retinopathy in the BB wistar rat. Invest. Vis. Sci. 24 (Suppl.): 285, 1985